About Me

I'm a 35 year old, happily married, Christian, stay at home mother to four children. I am overweight by about 77 pounds so I decided to do something about it. I'm counting my calories! I created this blog to help others with yummy recepes and ideas on how they can eat healthy as well.

Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Chicken Lettuce Wraps (Biggest Loser cookbook pg. 79)

I took out the "Kimmi and Bruce's" on the recepe title. A lot of the recepes in this cookbook are named after the contestants that gave the recepe.  This is BY FAR one of my very favorite recepes I cooked this week! If you like chinese food you will love it. Even if you don't, it's sooooo good.

1 can (8 oz) bamboo shoots, drained and minced (way too hard, just chop up small)
1 can (8 oz) water chestnuts, drained and minced (I used garlic press and it worked well)
3 Tablespoons sherry
2 Tablespoons hoisin sauce
1 Tablespoon reduced-fat peanut butter (Skippy has the lowest calories at 90!)
2 teaspoons low-sodium soy sauce
2 teaspoons hot-pepper sauce (any kind)
2 packets (.035 oz each) sugar substitue like Splenda (I have loose Splenda so I used 1-2 T)
1 Tablespoon minced garlic
1 cup minced onion
1/2 pound ground chicken breast
2 teaspoons minced fresh ginger (buy this fresh, it's SO worth it!)
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon toasted seseme oil
8 small leaves butter lettuce (I just used regular lettuce leaves)
1 whole green onion, chopped
1 small cucumber, seeded and sliced into 1" strips (I diced, it's easier)

In a medium bowl, combine the bamboo shoots, water chestnuts, sherry, hoisin sauce, peanut butter, soy sauce, hot-peper sauce, and sugar substitue. Mix well. Set aside.

Mist a large, non-stick pan with non-stick spray and set over medium heat.  Add the garlic and cook for 2 minutes, or until fragrent.  Add the onions.  Cook, stirring occasionally, for 3-4 minutes, or until tender and just starting to brown.  Increase the heat to medium-high.  Add the chicken, ginger, and salt.  Cook, breaking the chicken into small chunks, for 3-4 minutes or until no longer pink. Add the bamboo shoot mixture.  Cook for 2 minutes, or until hot.  Stir in the seseme oil (I didn't toast it). Remove the pan from the heat.  Spoon the chicken mixture, evenly divided, into the lettuce leaves. Set on plate. Top with green onions and cucumber. (never tried it with green onions) Serve immediately.

Makes 4 servings

Per serving: 155 calories, 16 g protein, 22 g carbs, 4 g fat, 33 mg cholesterol, 5 g fiber, 637 mg sodium.

*** A couple tips or tricks:
* This works and tastes fine if you already have chicken cooked! Just add the chicken and cook till warm.
*I rolled the salad leaves up so it was like a burrito.

No comments:

Post a Comment