About Me

I'm a 35 year old, happily married, Christian, stay at home mother to four children. I am overweight by about 77 pounds so I decided to do something about it. I'm counting my calories! I created this blog to help others with yummy recepes and ideas on how they can eat healthy as well.

Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Southwestern Chicken Pileup (Biggest Loser cookbook pg. 171)

I just had this for the first time a night ago and man it's so good and filling as well. I omitted the onions because I don't like raw onions. Also my calories came out different because of the type of bread I used, so make sure you count the calories the first time you use this recepe with the type of brand you use. I always mark out the book's calories and put mine in, including the calories next to each ingredient. Then I never have to do it again.

1 teaspoon salt-free Mexican or Southwest seasoning (I found one that Mrs. Dash makes)
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1 small (1/4 lb) boneless, skinless chicken breast-trimmed of visible fat
1 whole-wheat pita (6 1/2" diameter)  (I ended up using )
2 Tablespoons hummus, preferably red-pepper flavor
2 Tablespoons no-salt-added canned black beans, drained
Several red onion strips
Several red bell pepper strips
2 Tablespoons chopped tomato
2 Tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro leaves
2 Tablespoons shredded Cheddar cheese (I used 4 T Kraft fat free cheese which is 45 calories)
4 teaspoons guacamole (I used Wholly Guacamole - a half packet was 50 calories)

Preheat oven to 450. 

Sprinkle the seasoning and garlic powder evenly over the chicken.  Cook chicken in a pan with non-stick spray 3-5 minutes per side, or until no longer pink and the juices run clear.  Transfer to a cutting board and let stand 5 minutes. Chop the chicken into bite-sized pieces. Set aside.

Meanwhile, place the pita on oven rack. Cook 1-2 minutes per side, or until lightly toasted.  Place the pita on a nonstick baking sheet. Spread evenly with the hummus. Top evenly in layers with the beans, the chicken, onion, red pepper, tomato, cilantro, and cheese.

Bake 6-8 minutes, or until the cheese is melted.  Let stand for 5 minuts. Transfer to a plate.  Slice into wedges.  Top each wedge with your guacamole and sour cream, if desired.

Makes 1 serving

Per Serving: 356 calories, 38 g protein, 38 g carbs, 6 g fat, 68 mg cholesterol, 8 g fiber, 489 mg sodium.  (these calories weren't what mine added up to, again because I counted mine individually according to what the package said for calories)

I added 100 additional calories for an extra flat bread round. As you can see they are LOADED, this is a super filling meal.

No comments:

Post a Comment